Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Writing About Myself

My mother wanted me to become a doctor. My father wanted me to follow in his footsteps and become a lawyer. My piano teacher thought I was good enough for the conservatory of music. Growing up, I alternately shared my mother's dream, empathized with my father's wish, and trusted my piano teacher's judgment. But in the end I followed the beat of my drum, and decided to become a writer.

When I was fourteen I had an epiphany. I suddenly realized that all my life, I had stories running in my head all the time. I loved to read, and had always kept notes of things that struck me as special. I wanted to tell stories too, and write them down. So what could be more logical than pursuing my love for language and literature? Forget about med school - I was born to be a writer!

Once I decided to pursue this path, things started working my way. I started joining writing contests in school, and more remarkable than that, I also started winning prizes. I became editor of my high school paper. Then I went on to study communication arts and literature. And all the jobs I held after graduating from college had something to do with writing one way or another. I was accepted into a well-known writers' workshop, won a national literary contest, became a freelance contributor for a magazine, and published a children's book.

Then suddenly, my winning streak stopped. Work-related reasons brought me to another country years later, where I met and married my husband. I forgot about writing for a while, because life's other struggles got in the way.

It's been twelve years since I set the tools of my trade aside. Three years ago I picked up my pen and notebook again, and now I write everyday. Sometimes I sit at my computer, let my fingers fly on the keyboard, and pick up my thoughts on the way. I am a working writer, but I don't have many products to show. Instead, I focus on the process. It's been a long road to becoming a writer. And it's a journey I take every day.

__________

Note: This essay is another exercise from Writing the Natural Way by Gabriele Rico.