Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Indian Summer

When warm, southwesterly winds blow in early October, you get a spell of mild, sunny autumn days - Indian Summer! Time to make the most of it - hang out your laundry, sit at an outdoor cafe, mow the lawn, or just enjoy the sun - because tomorrow it'll be over, and winter will come soon enough.

I like Indian Summer, when the trees start turning from green to gold. There aren't too many leaves on the ground yet, but still I kick and toss the ones at my feet. And I wonder: is there a scientific explanation why there is something so eminently satisfying and fun about jumping in a pile of leaves? I feel like a kid again.

In German they have a peculiar term for Indian Summer. They call it "Altweibersommer". Freely translated, it means "old maid's summer". Some would find this politically incorrect, discriminating and sexist. I'd prefer to say that this term literally comes from another era. Take it as you like it.

Sometime after midnight tonight, I'll be on the night train to Geneva. Tomorrow until Saturday I'll be at the Women's International Networking Conference. Founded by Norwegian enterpreneur Kristin Engvig, the W.I.N. Conference has been called the "Davos for women" by a Swiss newspaper, in reference to the village where the World Economic Forum holds its annual gathering of business leaders. W.I.N.'s mission is simple and clear: "powerful networking for women creating change."

Compelling words from a women's group that aims to be the change it wants to see in the world. Not a bad thought on this "Altweibersommer" day.

(For more information about the Women's International Networking Conference, check out their website: www.winconference.net)